Lessons from Jam Fest

Last night I had the privilege of attending the NBA All-Star Jam Fest in downtown Phoenix. It was an incredible event. I actually managed to learn from the way they did things.

As you entered the Jam Fest they had a row of volunteers waiting in a high five line. There were flash bulbs going off, screaming fans, game announcers, the whole nine yards just as you were walking in. What a great way to greet people. You make them feel like they are the people everyone is here to see. It is definitely a concept we should pull into ministry more often. If you want to do the full arena effect then more power to you but even a simple high five or handshake can turn a persons entire attitude toward church around.

The next learning experience for me came from the players and workers. Everyone was accessible. It wasn't impossible for you to get your favorite players autograph or ask him a question. You could easily talk to, and have fun with the staff and volunteers. I didn't meet a single person who was acting like they didn't want to be there. Everyone genuinely looked and acted excited the entire night. It should be so much easier to do this at church. I've talked before about the concept of church needing to be exciting. We should love being in a place where people are hearing the gospel for the first time. If volunteers for the NBA can get pumped volunteers in God's house better start showing excitement.

Lastly, I learned that when everyone does their job, things run smoothly. This one is pretty easy. Everyone had a place and role and they all stuck too it. There were workers who stayed in the same spot the entire night, but they did so with a smile. Each worker had a task and I never asked a question that could not be answered. If I didn't get the answer I was looking for it was because I was asking the wrong person so I was directed elsewhere. We should be able to do this as a church. We should be prepared to fill our role in whatever ministry we are a part of and we should keep our mouth shut if we don't know the answers.

I learned a ton from a great event. I really enjoyed the way the NBA put this event together. They are doing a great job and I can't wait to experience something like this again!

Bring Your Rally Towels To Church,
Shane
Category: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BLOG this weekend!!
I miss reading them.

Post a Comment