Sofa Cushions, Cots, and Cold Showers

This weekend I had the opportunity to learn in a way that I never have before. It was a crazy weekend mixed with my dad being admitted to the hospital, sleeping on a cot, and being a passenger in a car sliding sideways on ice.

The thing is that I managed to stay in a good mood the entire time. I don't know how it happened, but it happened. I spent all night Thursday and early into Friday morning waiting for my dad to be admitted into the hospital. The emotions of that were overwhelming. I had no clue what what was wrong my dad, I felt helpless, and all I could think about is that it would effect him for a long time. I was worried that he wouldn't be the same. I knew he was fine but I didn't know what the lasting effects of whatever happened would be. After they ran test after test after test I chose to leave for a winter retreat that I was a guest at. My mentor spoke at the event and I was going along with him to learn and speak some. So within a 36 hour period I went from the ER to sleeping on hospital room sofa cushions, to driving up north to hang with a bunch of students I didn't know at all. To say the least I was a little bit disarray.

When we arrived up north everything changed quickly. I knew that these students didn't know what was going on in my life and that the focus of the weekend was on their lives. I knew that God was planning on reaching those students and that he would take care of my stress privately. So I smiled, unpacked, and fellowshipped with each and every student. We played games all weekend, spent time talking, and even had a chance to go sledding. I learned how to adapt to students that I am not normally around. I learned that no matter what church a student goes to they still like to have fun, they still make me laugh more than adults, and they all have very real struggles in life. Somehow no matter what is going on in those students lives they still managed to make me feel welcomed and appreciated even though they had just met me. I ran on little sleep, cold showers, and a few phone calls here and there to check on my dad; but none of that effected my mood. For the first time in my life I can honestly say that in a stressful circumstance I managed to stay joyful the entire time. God placed me in the right spot around the right demographic of people that would allow me to focus on something other than my stresses a home.

It was a great learning experience and a blessing from God to be able to go to that retreat. The lesson I learned about myself and my God will stick with me forever. He knows exactly what I need and somehow provides for me each and every time.

How has God met your needs in the past week? Maybe a phone call from a friend?, a few extra dollars to by groceries?, maybe a church that surrounds you with people that care?

He Knows What We Need,
Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment