People Over Programming

Is it hard to work with your church?

If you are a church leader I really want you to think about that for a second.

Is your church harder to do business with than a secular company.

A church is obviously a place where believers connect and fellowship but it is also a house for many other events. People rent churches out for conventions, weddings, funerals, graduation ceremonies, etc.

Why is it that sometimes working with the venue down the street is easier than working with the church around the corner?

I understand there are bills to pay, pay checks to write, and costly time, but shouldn't it be easier for a person to walk in a negotiate with a church than it is to rent out the reception hall a mile away?

As some of you know my fiancée and I are currently planning a wedding and I don't want this to come off as a shot at any church. It's not at all, we have had a great experience with our church helping us in a variety of ways. I was just honestly plowing through this thought when this post came to mind.

I just pray that church leaders would have a heart that constantly reminds them of their never ceasing witness. People are always looking for compassion from the church. I understand it's sometimes hard to work around an already set schedule to allow an outside event to use your building, but we should never act like it's an inconvenience. People need to know that a church is a place that wants to provide for the needs of the community, especially when it comes to some of their most important occasions. We are to be a witness, we are to love the fact that people want to hold their event at the church we lead. We need to feel privileged at the idea that someone was attracted to something about what we do as a church. Everything we do needs to glorify God. We need to act as He would.

After all, it's His church not ours.

PS-I totally understand priorities. They are set for a reason. I am talking about details. There need not be a struggle between what a person needs and what the church will help them with. Jesus prioritized people before programming.

That's my opinion, but what is yours? Let me know what you think.

-Shane
Category:

No comments:

Post a Comment