That Something

What attribute of God do you love the most?

What is it about Him that grabs ahold of you and doesn't let go?

Lately for me it's been His vastness. I read Psalms 111 recently and it has quickly become one of my favorite Psalms. I read a Message devotional and the way a couple of the verses are translated describe the attributes currently on the forefront of my heart:

God’s works are so great, worth
A lifetime of study—endless enjoyment! (v2)

Never out-of-date, never obsolete, rust-proof.
All that he makes and does is honest and true: (v8)

He paid the ransom for his people,
He ordered his Covenant kept forever.
He’s so personal and holy, worthy of our respect. (v9)

These verses describe the current state of my heart. I have had a commitment to studying Him lately that totally goes against my education track record. I enjoy Bible College, I love sitting down and wrestling with scripture, and I constantly read other "Christian" material. I can't get enough of God study right now. I have never been into any of the prior listed forms of study but as I continue to find something new about God each day, my enjoyment of studying is growing.

I am also amazed with the relevance of God and His Word. Many times we lose sight of the fact that God's Word stands forever. It's for the ancient people as much as it is for today's world. The Bible was put together with us in mind. It's not like God inspired The Word and then went "O shoot, these humans are sticking around longer than I thought". He was thinking about each of us when He inspired the Word. He wanted to make sure that what was going to be recorded in the Bible would apply to every individual that takes the time to read it. God's Word is always relevant and can solve the world's problems, even today.

If you don't already, I encourage you to READ! Read your Bible. Pray about what you read, wrestle with what you read, read commentaries, allow God to speak to you through His most obvious form. As you read I also encourage you to find the attributes of God that stick out to you. He is amazing in all His ways but there are going to be some attributes of His persona that fuel your passions and make you who you are. As you begin to understand The Creator you begin to better understand yourself. Remember, we're made in His image (Genesis 1:27).

-Shane
Category: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment