Stop Eating Vomit

How could I be so stupid?

Why in the world would I do that?

Can I ever fix this?

Have you ever asked yourself these questions? Do you ask yourself these questions on a regular basis? I know I have. I have struggled with sin, to say the least. We all have. I don't really understand why sin is so enticing. I don't grasp how it captivates us and causes us to make completely irrational decisions. There is no reason why we constantly repeat sins that have controlled us for weeks, months, even years.

Sinning repetitively is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun. We will lose every time we pull the trigger. Also like Russian Roulette, every time we sin death is waiting to take us down. I'm not talking about a physical death, I'm talking about a numbness that leads to a place of eternal death.

Would you say that when you struggle with a certain sin after a while it becomes easier and easier to do without thought? I believe that it's because every time we repeat a sin we are adding a brick to the wall that blocks conviction. The Spirit wants to bring us freedom but as we reject it we walk further and further away from Him.

This is an extremely bad situation to be in.

But...

There is a solution to the issue of repetitive sin.

One, would be to accept Christ as your personal savior, confess of your sins and be made new. This is definitely a life changing experience and if you haven't already done so I encourage you to pursue the freedom of salvation.
Two, would be to find accountability. Find someone who will ask you the tough questions. I'm not talking about your girlfriend or the coworker who parties with you. I'm talking about someone you look up to and can trust to stay on you. You need someone who will pray for you and help you through your struggles.
Third, PRAY! Pray all the time. Pray constantly and earnestly for freedom. I know myself and countless others who will tell you that prayer is the key to destroying sin. God has freed me from stuff that took months of prayer to pull through. When I say pray, I mean it. Give it everything you have. In your moments of struggle cry out, don't be afraid to get real with God. Confess your sins to Him and watch Him begin to pull you out of your rut.

"As a dog returns to its vomit,
so a fool repeats his foolishness." (Proverbs 26:11 NLT)

I don't know why I felt I needed to share this today but I know that no matter what it will serve as a reminder to everyone who reads it. God is there, He is always helping us. He wants to see us live a free and purposeful life. And I can tell you that when you embrace His freedom, you experience life on a whole different level.

Be Free,
Shane
Category:

No comments:

Post a Comment