The View From The Top

This weekend I climbed a mountain. Yes, I am in good enough shape to do that (surprised me too).

I know that time after time we hear the metaphor of "climbing a mountain", but trust me, when you climb one you begin to understand it's true meaning.

As Heather and I began to hike up the mountain it was easy. Of course it was intimidating to look up and see what lies ahead, but none the less it a breeze.

But then we moved from the man made trail and began to climb rocks. Big giant stinking boulders. I didn't sign up for that. I thought it would be a stroll in the park, on a nice little trail, with birds chirping, and the wind cooling us off. This was a freaking mountain! It kicked our butts. Heather was about to kill me for bringing her to this place and I was trying to harbor my mental strength from baseball and just keep pushing through. I knew that if we made it to the top we would forget it all and our journey would be worth it.

Well, we reached the top and let me tell you, it was worth it. The view was breathtaking. I've grown up here and never had the chance to see where I live (if that makes sense). What an incredible perspective. In that moment I knew exactly why people hike up mountains. I knew that the struggle to reach the summit was just to help us appreciate the view once we arrived.

I think life and ministry are very much the same. Some people persist and get to enjoy the blessings God has for them and others choose to run back down "the mountain" of life and return to what's easy.

How will you live your life? Will you push through the spiritual challenges and temptations? Do you care enough about others to help them to the top?

Climb your mountains, don't look down, and never, ever give up!

The view from the top is worth the struggle to reach it.

Push Yourself,
Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment