Talk To Someone

When is the last time you stopped and talked to someone you didn't know?

How many people have tried to open up a conversation with you, just to find themselves rejected and ignored?

Driving home from the Suns game last night I was waiting in the infamous mile long line of cars (which I later maneuvered my way out of) and came to a stop near a homeless man begging for food. He was walking from car to car holding his sign and hoping for someone to acknowledge him. I had no food but we had just received a coupon for a free iced coffee upon exiting the arena so I decided to offer him what I had. He was grateful for the coupon, but then he began asking questions.

He wanted to talk. He wanted to hear about the big plays, he wanted to talk about how unfair the matchup was, he even wanted to talk about the weather. His sign said hungry but his heart screamed lonely. I began to wonder how long it had been since someone gave him the time of day. I was blown away that a man living in the streets about a mile away from the arena had no clue what was going on inside. As he was passed by those of us that are fortunate to have a home to drive to in our nice $25,000 automobiles all he was looking for was an acknowledgment. Someone to make him feel like he was alive.

The reality of all of this hit me. I was not only convicted but challenged. I realized that I need to take more time to acknowledge the world around me. I need to take the time to slow down and pay attention to the people I normally fly by.

Take some time today to talk to someone. It doesn't have to be the homeless person on a corner. It can be the cashier at the grocery store, it can be the person ringing the Salvation Army bell where you are shopping, it could be your own son or daughter, it could even be your mom or dad. Whoever it is take the time to let them know they are living a life that means something. No matter where or who they are God loves them and you care enough to take some time out of your day to share that love with them.

Talk More,
Shane
Category:

No comments:

Post a Comment